6 Fab (and Slightly Crazy) Fish and Chip FactsMay 19th, 2016
At Zan Fish, we’re crazy about all things fish and chips and just for fun, we’ve put together some fab fish and chip facts that you may not know. Or, maybe you do? Have a look and see…
1. Fish and chips has been around since 1865!
And the oldest fish and chip shop in the world is up North, near Leeds. And, guess what it’s called? That’s right, The Oldest Fish and Chip Shop in The World! Drop by and see them if you’re nearby!
2. In Dickensian Britain, fish was served with bread, not chips
…and it was served as a cold dish by street vendors who hung trays around their necks. It was only a penny a portion!
3. During the Second World War, fish and chips was the only take-away food not to be rationed
…and there were even portable frying vans that visited evacuees up and down the country so everyone could get their favourite take-away supper!
4. Fish and chip shop fish is healthy!
Nowadays, most fish and chip shops (including ours of course) use quick frying methods and very high quality oils ensure that very little oil gets in the actual fish. Yum!
5. We call them ‘chips’ the Americans call them French Fries…
…but did you know the Belgians call them ‘Belgian Fries’?
6. They’re the nation’s tenth favourite smell
…according to a recent survey!
7. Good Friday is traditionally a fish and chip shop day for many people
…but have you ever wondered why? It all stems back to not eating meat on that day, but fish is allowed making it one of the busiest days for fish and chip establishments. And it’s not just Good Friday, on any Friday, one in five takeaways are from a fish and chip shop!
We hope you’ve enjoyed learning more about your favourite take-away dish and if you’re feeling peckish, pop into one of our shops for freshly cooked fish and chips. See you soon!